Sonification of Earthquakes off the Coast of Honshu, Japan - Friday March 11, 2011
Sonification of the incredible seismic activity off the coast of Honshu, Japan - Friday March 11th.
This is only a selection of 20 or so individual readings. At the time of this recording, earthquakes are ongoing as there have been almost 40 readings in the past 8 hours.
UPDATE: As more readings come in that result in interesting generations I will post throughout the day on SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/micahfrank
Tectonic is a realtime seismic analysis and sound synthesis system. Sound is created in realtime by earthquakes as they occur across the globe. A tightly integrated system between Max/MSP, Google Earth and Symbolic Sound’s Kyma processes earthquake data that is translated into sound synthesis parameters. A USGS XML feed is parsed into numerous fields including magnitude, elevation, time of day and geographical coordinates. These data are mapped to synthetic spectrums and processed by granular, aggregate and subtractive synthesis.
Learn more about Tectonic at http://micahfrank.com/tagged/tectonic
- jcpenney-printable-coupon reblogged this from puremagnetik
- nannuetipitier likes this
- takofree reblogged this from puremagnetik
- mind-stash reblogged this from puremagnetik and added:
- bitchville likes this
- rockinismo likes this
- calopteryx likes this
- smurfettude reblogged this from ericmortensen
- nanoramas reblogged this from ericmortensen
- crother reblogged this from puremagnetik
- crother likes this
- ericmortensen reblogged this from puremagnetik
- puremagnetik posted this